[OpenLayers-Dev] GML examples?

Andrea Aime aaime at openplans.org
Sun Aug 26 05:34:40 EDT 2007

Christopher Schmidt ha scritto:
> So, I'm looking at writing tests for Tim's new GML class to see what
> kind of things we cover/don't cover.
>
> However, I'm very much not a GML person, so i don't have a lot of useful
> GML sitting around.
>
> If you can create a GML file that has a single feature -- be it
> multipolygons, multipoints, lines, data with complex attributes, etc. --
> and describe what the important parts of it are, so I can add more
> tests.
>
> Note that I'd like targeted examples of a variety of formats, rather
> than a giant example of all the states in the US or something like that.

I don't have such a set of GML files me neither, but if I was in your
place, I would grab some interesting shapefile and postgis tables,
configure them into GeoServer 1.6.0 nightly
(http://geo.openplans.org/nightly/trunk/) and then issue a GetFeature
request that will get you a single feature using a FEATUREID filter.

If you want a single feature in GML3 you can use a WFS 1.1 query:
http://localhost:8080/geoserver/wfs?request=GetFeature&version=1.1.0&typeName=topp:states&FEATUREID=states.3
and to get the same in GML2, use a WFS 1.0 query:
http://localhost:8080/geoserver/wfs?request=GetFeature&version=1.0.0&typeName=topp:states&FEATUREID=states.3

Figuring out the feature id is generally easy. In GeoServer feature ids
are constructed as <typename>.<key> where key is the row number in a
shapefile, or the primary key value in a postgis table.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Andrea