[OpenLayers-Dev] RFC: Resolution to only change License with Unanimous Vote

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Tue Oct 9 21:19:47 EDT 2007

On 9-Oct-07, at 2:10 PM, Christopher Schmidt wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 09, 2007 at 01:50:56PM -0400, Paul Spencer wrote:
>> I'm ambivalent on this.  I am not convinced that we need unanimity
>> (?) on any given issue, but I do think we need everyone to vote so
>> that we are certain there are no dissenting votes.  I also think
>> there may be a certain amount of pressure felt by someone that they
>> have to vote with the rest of the PSC even though they are not
>> necessarily fully supportive (or even just ambivalent).
>>
>> Discuss ... :)
>
> I think that license changes are important enough that if you can't
> get
> unanimous approval of the PSC, then "You're doing it wrong"[1].
>
> That said, I would consider a "+0" to be part of a 'unanimous vote' --
> indicating no veto -- and since a single -1 vetoes a vote nayway, the
> practical change to this would only be that all members would have to
> vote. However, now that I think about it, I think all PSC members
> really
> should be voting "+1" to change a license. If you can't get that
> level of
> approval, then you shouldn't be changing the license.c
>

> [1] http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/macjinx/campingmacro.jpg

nice :)

I agree on anything with a + being part of a unanimous vote.  I think
we are (or at least just I am) abusing the current rules by voting +1
on everything even if we (I) don't intend to help out.

The PSC needs to maintain a list of things that we have agreed
(unanimously) require a unanimous vote.

Also, I think we should maintain a record of the results of votes.
The way MapGuide runs their PSC.  An RFC is prepared in the wiki, a
link is forwarded to dev for discussion, then after a suitable
waiting period a motion to vote is presented by a PSC member.  After
the vote, the proponent of the RFC updates the list with the voting
record.  For issues like this one, this seems like a bit of overkill
but at least the main text of the RFC and the voting history could be
plunked into the wiki after a vote?

And +1 on making unanimity (all + votes) for this particular issue.

Cheers

Paul