[OpenLayers-Dev] Addins Candidate: LoadingPanel

Roald de Wit rdewit at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Feb 5 20:18:33 EST 2008

Hi,

On Tue, 2008-02-05 at 00:47 -0500, Erik Uzureau wrote:
> I don't think there is any reason to tie the addins to trunk releases.
> Now, clearly, the addin creator will want to specify *clearly* in a
> README file, or something of the like, specifically which versions of
> OL are compatible with the addin. But the whole idea of this endeavour
> is that they should be independent little creatures, released and
> maintained separately from trunk.

Added to that: the README should also *clearly* state what classes the
addin depends on. This is necessary for people building a stripped down
OL.

Some ideas:
- choose a proper name (addin[s], extension[s], plugin[s], etc)
- setup a wiki page
- create a property for an addin with its dependencies and have an
  addin-loader check for these dependencies (maybe even trying to load
  them automatically when it's not a single file build???)
- describe a possible directory structure
- place an example (LoadingPanel for example) in such a directory
  structure, like:
  addins/LoadingPanel.js, addins/LoadingPanel/Control/*

Roald

--
Roald de Wit
Software Engineer
roald.dewit at lisasoft.com

Commercial Support for Open Source GIS Software
http://lisasoft.com/LISAsoft/SupportedProducts/