[OpenLayers-Dev] mouse wheel on popups

Pierre GIRAUD bluecarto at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 05:39:37 EST 2008

Hello Erik, Tim and all,

I would first like to congratulate Erik for his great and useful job
on the new popups. It sounds like it's almost ready to go in.
However, there are still some issues to fix.

The most important for me (and a customer I work on this for) is the
ability to scroll the popup content without any interaction with the
map (avoid zoom in/out).

I first wondered I we were able to prevent map from zooming when
wheeling on controls UI's (LayerSwitcher, panZoomBar) and proposed a
simple patch to fix this. [1]

Back to the popup specific issue, my first thought was to observe
mousewheel events and simply stop event propagation. But, the
MouseWheel has already observers for those events and as they are
registered before, they are informed first and the map is zoomed
in/out. We could imagine dealing with some sort of priority but I
didn't find a way to do it.
Should we consider having a proper registry for mousewheel events and
not simply calling observe() ?

We could also imagine temporarily disabling the MouseWheel handler.
Tim, are you confident with the feature proposed by sbenthall [2] ?
How could we implement this ? Do we have to detect that the mouse
cursor entered and leaved the popup to call enable/disable the wheel
handler ?

Any help on that would be appreciated.

Regards,
Pierre