[OpenLayers-Dev] Custom Layer

Matt Brailsford m.brailsford at think-eng.com
Thu Feb 28 11:48:03 EST 2008

Hi Guys

I'm working on a project where I need to offer a google style map
interface to some maps we are being provided by a 3rd party. The 3rd
party basically has some webservices which I can query for a map given a
number of criteria (one being a lat/lng boundary).

My idea is to create a wrapper around the webservice which would allow
me to request an image via a defined url with querystring. From looking
through the code, I believe I would need write a custom Layer to do use
this as it is not a standard protocol.

Could anyone offer my some starting points on writing a custom layer for
this? The image being returned would be an image for the whole map are
(not tiled). Could I just extend the OpenLayers. Layer.Image class and
override the moveTo and getUrl methods to return the dynamic image?

Could you also let me know how I would integrate this? Could I just
create a js file for my custom class and import this on the page and
import the OpenLayers js file remotely?

And finaly, I tend to use jQuery for my javascript development purposes,
will using OpenLayers cause any conflicts what with it being based on
prototype?

Many thanks

Matt