[OpenLayers-Dev] Dynamic SLD in a GetMap-Request via HTTP-POST

Andreas Hocevar ahocevar at opengeo.org
Thu Apr 30 06:36:28 EDT 2009

Hi Ingo,

Ingo Weinzierl wrote:
> I am thinking about a topic of my thesis in the next month. While working on a
> project using OpenLayers, I asked myself if it's possible to send a WMS
> GetMap-Request via HTTP-POST to include a SLD.
> I have searched for this problem via google, the mailing-lists and in the
> examples of OL, but the only way to use SLDs in a GetMap-Request I could find
> is via url to a file or in a HTTP-GET url, which has limited length.
> The idea of my tutor and me is to realize a WMS GetMap-Request via HTTP-POST
> to be able to include longer SLDs.
>
> What are you thinking about this idea? Or is it absolutely impossible?

It is actually a good idea, and I would already have developed
OpenLayers support for it if there weren't other things of higher
priority. Sending WMS requests via POST is covered by the WMS spec, but
things become complicated when you want to display the resulting image
in a browser. Tim Schaub and I have played around a bit with
XMLHttpRequest and responseStream [1], but it did not work as described
there. Maybe we were just missing something obvious.

Having said that: if you want to develop this for OpenLayers, I'll be
willing to mentor.

Regards,
Andreas.

[1]