[OpenLayers-Dev] Dynamic SLD in a GetMap-Request via HTTP-POST

Andrea Aime aaime at opengeo.org
Thu Apr 30 08:43:35 EDT 2009

Andreas Hocevar ha scritto:
> It is actually a good idea, and I would already have developed
> OpenLayers support for it if there weren't other things of higher
> priority. Sending WMS requests via POST is covered by the WMS spec, but
> things become complicated when you want to display the resulting image
> in a browser.

Actually, afaik, it's not part of the basic WMS spec, but it's
specified among the SLD 1.0 WMS specific extensions, so don't just
assume every server will support it.

GeoServer does accept such a request, and can eat even a POST
request build up as a form if you set the proper mime type,
this allows one to build the request just like the GET one,
using GET keys are the form field names, and the key values as
the form values.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Andrea