[OpenLayers-Dev] proposal for GeoExt governance

Tim Schaub tschaub at opengeo.org
Sat Mar 14 01:54:16 EDT 2009

Hey-

GeoExt is a project that aims to provide an Ext based toolkit for
developing applications with OpenLayers.  The library will extend Ext
widgets and data management classes with mapping functionality from
OpenLayers.

The GeoExt project steering committee and existing users and developers
are interested in assigning copyright for the GeoExt code base to the
OSGeo foundation.  For OSGeo to accept copyright, it would be ideal if
an existing OSGeo project could participate in the governance of the
GeoExt project.

Our hope (as the GeoExt PSC) is that the OpenLayers PSC would accept
this responsibility.  Exactly what "participate in the governance" means
is a little hard to nail down.  I've put together a proposal with a bit
more specific language:

http://www.geoext.org/trac/geoext/wiki/governance

I'd like to open discussion on this proposal and get a vote from the
OpenLayers PSC some time next week.

What this means for the OpenLayers PSC:

The OpenLayers PSC requires that the GeoExt PSC provides evidence that
GeoExt is following the criteria for becoming an OSGeo member project
(as far as I can tell, this is best described here
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Labs#Criteria).

In practice, this will mean that the OpenLayers PSC will request that
the GeoExt PSC provide information on contributors and signed
contributor license agreements, and that the GeoExt PSC maintains the
"geospatial" nature of the project.

Questions and feedback welcome.
Tim

--