[OpenLayers-Dev] proposal for GeoExt governance

Erik Uzureau euzuro at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 01:05:50 EDT 2009

So from this mail and reading the two links... it sounds like the impact for
OL PSC
would be that we must make sure that:

1) GeoExt has a OSGeo-friendly license (and doesn't change it)
2) All contributors to GeoExt project have signed CLA
3) GeoExt remains Geo-related.

Seems like (1) and (3) are essentially a one-time deal. (2), however,
would imply someone from OL PSC monitoring all GeoExt commits
and double-checking to see that CLAs are on file for the committer
or in the event that the committer is merely acting as a reviewer,
then for the originator of the patch.

None of this seems particularly difficult or time consuming.

My immediate question, though, is "can a member of the OL PSC
act in any of these roles if they are also a member of the GeoExt
PSC (or general community)?"

If the answer is "yes", and either Tim or Eric (who I know are both
involved in GeoExt) would like to take on the responsibilities, then
I don't see any reason for the OL PSC *not* to approve this.

If the answer is "no", then a suitable chaperone among the uninvolved
on the OL PSC will have to step up.

Are there any side effects to this that are not being listed here? I mean,
whether the answer to my above question is "yes" or "no", it doesn't seem
like OL PSC really has anything to *lose* either way.... maybe I'm
missing something?

Erik