[OpenLayers-Dev] Re: More undefined variables on OpenLayers!

Xavier Mamano (jorix) xavier.mamano at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 10:46:38 EST 2011

Hi Chris,

> The first step for closure integration was to integrate it as a build
> tool.

OL current implementation does not work on Windows systems, see
http://trac.osgeo.org/openlayers/ticket/3158

> I am supportive of other developers who are interested taking on the
> integration
> (and more importantly, *documentation*) of how to use Closure Compiler as
> tool for finding warnings -- in the same way that developers currently use
> jslint to find errors and mistakes.

I can raise a documented minimum implementation of warnings and errors.
(The default way of working is to detect undefined variable errors, but many
warnings are not useful because the compiler does not understand the use of
OpenLayes.Class, and this causes massive warnings that the process turns
off)

> At this point, I do not have the time to invest in understanding closure
> enough
> to integrate your changes in a way that I can understand how to use them,
> and
> your patches did not make it clear to me how I would use closure to find
> these
> warnings. (As I said in comments on the ticket, I think that the work
> you've
> done is interesting, but I just don't understand it.)

It is difficult to explain everything without going into details (and there
is confusion about the use of externs, must think that the compiler uses
natively many externs -36 files 400kb-)

> If other developers are interested in taking it on, they're welcome to,
> obviously.
> I just knew that I wasn't going to invest in it, and no one else expressed
> strong interest at the time, so I bumped it.

Yes I understand. My intention is to find someone who is interested. If no
one is interested not worth spending more time on this.

> -- Chris

Xavier Mamano