[OpenLayers-Users] TileCache and KaMaps

Chris Holmes cholmes at openplans.org
Wed Dec 6 10:22:25 EST 2006

Christopher Schmidt wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 05, 2006 at 06:29:08PM -0500, Chris Holmes wrote:
>> I'll also note that right now it seems to be having more blank images.
>> It's not all pre-cached.  I've actually consistently had problems with
>> areas that aren't pre-cached, they tend to not wait until the backend
>> has returned, instead just return the broken images.  It would be great
>> if I could get it so there's never the broken images, some just take a
>> lot longer to load.
>
> I think we've talked about this before on the mailing list? This is most
> likely an OpenLayers bug, if it's the same thing I've run into: have you
> been able to reproduce it without OpenLayers in the loop?
>
> Basically, I don't trust OpenLayers WMS to always request tiles on grids
> after looking at TileCache in OpenLayers for a while. Figuring out why
> is high on my priority list for OpenLayers development, but at the
> moment, OpenLayers development is not high on my priority list.

Oh yeah, I have brought this up before, but I think I brought up two
issues at once.  One was zoom levels over 16 not working right, which is
now fixed (thanks!), and I thought the answer to that was that
OpenLayers wasn't requesting tiles right.

But you're saying that it's actually the cause to both?  Just in
slightly different ways?  OpenLayers basically non-deterministically
sometimes won't make the right request?    Hrm, that is tough.  I'll let
you know if I find anything more deterministic.

best regards,

Chris

--
Chris Holmes