[OpenLayers-Users] Trying to get a minimal Vector example to work....

Nick Whitelegg nick at hogweed.org
Sun Dec 17 06:04:29 EST 2006

I'm playing around with the Vector code (checked out Dec 13 21:17GMT) and
trying to get a minimal example to work, where the user draws a blue polyline
by clicking points on the map.

This was derived from the vector.html in the examples. I want to add my own
custom code for communicating with a server - hence the need to write my own
code rather than use the "draw line" tool in vector.html.

However, I can't seem to get it to work. The code is as follows:

	var map, vector;
        var line, feature;

        function init() {

            map = new OpenLayers.Map('map',
                {
            		maxExtent:new OpenLayers.Bounds(0,0,599999,999999),
           		 maxResolution: 8, units:'meters'});

            var ol_wms = new OpenLayers.Layer.WMS( "NPE",
                "http://nick.dev.openstreetmap.org/openpaths/freemap.php",
                {'layers':'npe'} );

            vector = new OpenLayers.Layer.Vector("Vector Layer");
            map.addLayers([vector, ol_wms]);

            map.addControl(new OpenLayers.Control.LayerSwitcher());

            map.setCenter(new OpenLayers.LonLat(489600,128500));
            map.events.register('click',map,mapClick);

            line = new OpenLayers.Geometry.LineString();
            feature = new OpenLayers.Feature();
            feature.setStyle
                ( { 'strokeStyle': 'blue', 'lineWidth': 2 } );
            feature.setGeometry(line);
            vector.addFeatures(feature);
        }

        function mapClick(e)
        {
            var pos = map.getLonLatFromViewPortPx
                (map.events.getMousePosition(e));
            line.addPoint(pos);
        }

Any ideas what the problem might be? It's accessible on the web at
http://www.free-map.org.uk/vector/examples/npe.html.
Tested on Firefox 1.5. The vector examples (e.g. vector.html) are working.
I don't get any errors on the javascript console.

Thanks,
Nick