[OpenLayers-Users] Trying to get a minimal Vector example to work....

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Sun Dec 17 07:52:02 EST 2006

On Sun, Dec 17, 2006 at 11:04:29AM +0000, Nick Whitelegg wrote:

> I'm playing around with the Vector code (checked out Dec 13 21:17GMT) and
> trying to get a minimal example to work, where the user draws a blue polyline
> by clicking points on the map.
>
> This was derived from the vector.html in the examples. I want to add my own
> custom code for communicating with a server - hence the need to write my own
> code rather than use the "draw line" tool in vector.html.

Not using the draw line tool and including custom code for communicating
with a server are (by design) unrelated. If you want to write your own
'save' code, you simply need to look at the Writer/WFS.js code
(http://dev.openlayers.org/sandbox/vector/lib/OpenLayers/Writer/WFS.js)
and then pass a different 'writer' in the options array of the layer you
create.

> However, I can't seem to get it to work. The code is as follows:

Although I appreciate the excitement over the vector drawing in
OpenLayers, I do want to point out that the vector branch is still in
rapid development, and is not considered to be a supported part of
OpenLayers. Although I'm relatively certain that some of the vector
developers will do their best to respond, the best way to resolve issues
with the Vector branch is to start from the examples and work your way
forward.

I simply don't want people to jump into this too early: I jumped the gun
by even showing a demo of it, and the developers of this code have put
in a lot of hard work, and still are working hard on it. I don't want to
see them get swamped with premature support requests.

(I may also be a bit oversensitive here -- I just don't want to scare
off the people who've put so much time into making this stuff great!)

For the record, I did play with your example for 15 minutes or so, and
was unable to see anything obviously wrong.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta