[OpenLayers-Users] OpenLayers WMS Client

Arnd Wippermann arnd.wippermann at web.de
Sat Oct 21 17:58:49 EDT 2006

Hello,

With the wonderful api of OpenLayers Version 1.0 (Version 2 runs, but
somewhat strange) I have succeed to build an WMS Client. Perhaps someone
have a look and also some fun. I hope the explanation, I provide, is
sufficient.
The application uses popup windows. The Layercontrol is an separate window.
Also the OptionsControl and the GetCapabiltiesControl. So it is necessary to
prevent your browser from blocking these windows.

http://gis.ibbeck.de/ginfo/ibbOLClient/OpenLayersClient.html or with
argument KARTE=0 to 5.

And Now for Something Completely Different. Not an OpenLayer problem, but
nevertheless very interesting.

http://gis.ibbeck.de/ginfo/ibbOLClient/OpenLayersClient.html?KARTE=5

KARTE=5 shows the windows of this application as a "map image". I have
thougth, this will be a funny thing to provide some help for my application.
But surprise, surprise, all went the wrong way.

Maybe someone have an idea, why the request via WMS shows not the same as
the request via Mapserver. Both requests get the data (gifs with wld-file
and one shp) from Mapserver with the same mapfile, but the WMS output of the
pictures is shifted to the left and the shp is shifted to the right. When I
requested the data with Mapserver (second layer), there was a new surprise.
The output seems to be right on zoomlevel 4, but with zoomlevel 5 and higher
only parts of all will be drawn. I have looked in the mapfile, the
configuration of Mapserver, the used libraries, OpenLayers and so on, but I
have no clue, why these strange behaviors will be seen.

I use for the map the projection EPSG:31466 with center 0,0. Normally
EPSG:31466 is used with coordinates like 2576000, 5686000. All the data are
projected in EPSG:31466 around the center 0,0 and a reprojection of data is
not necessary.

I hope, i get some help on this.

Mit freundlichen Grüssen

Arnd Wippermann