[OpenLayers-Users] OpenLayers and (GeoRSS) proxy issue

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Tue Oct 24 10:33:53 EDT 2006

On Tue, Oct 24, 2006 at 03:27:12PM +0100, Mark de Blois wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am trying to incorporate external GeoRSS feeds into an internal demo
> application but I am struggling with the proxy. With the sample script
> provided I am not able to get it to work. I keep getting an 'Unhandled
> request return Not found error. I have a feeling it is not
> passing/returning the right URL. I am not a star with
> JavaScript(debugging) so any help on how to solve this issue would be
> very much appreciated. Or seeing a real life example would help out a
> lot.

A link to an HTML page where this problem is presenting itself would be
the most helpful information to proceed in debugging this issue.

It sounds like OpenLayers.ProxyHost is not pointing to the location
where your proxy script is located. For the standard apache
configuration, you would need to place proxy.cgi into your
/usr/lib/cgi-bin/ directory, and ten set:
  OpenLayers.ProxyHost = "/cgi-bin/proxy.cgi?url=";

If you have done something like this, you should be able to visit:

  http://YourDomain.example.com/cgi-bin/proxy.cgi

The resulting content at that page should be the openlayers.org website.

If you get a 404 error instead, either the proxy script is not in the
right location, or your webserver is not configured correctly.

Again, having a link to a page which demonstrates this problem would be
helpful in working to debug the problem.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta