[OpenLayers-Users] kamap background tiles

percy percyd at pdx.edu
Tue Oct 31 13:19:05 EST 2006

Yeah, I was hoping to understand the tiling mechanism better, because if
I can get away just using the background color on the DIV, then it
implies that I can free up some disk space by deleting a bunch of tiles
that are just colored blue!

Thanks a bunch, though, I used an online color picker to turn my RGB
triplet from the mapfile into a hex RGB, and Voila! my rivers are blue
again. (background-color: #B6DAE1)

Cool.

Tim Langlois wrote:
> I was going to suggest the same thing.  I had the same issue and
> resolved it by setting the default background color for the map window.
>
> On Tue, 2006-10-31 at 10:41 -0700, Tim Schaub wrote:
>>> I have a kamap tiled backend from which I am only pulling the
>>> group __base__. Unfortunately, this means that the background
>>> color doesn't get drawn, and since we were relying on the
>>> background color to be blue to show water, all water bodies
>>> are now transparent ;-)
>> Seems like some CSS should do the trick:
>>
>> #ngmdb_map {
>> 	background-color: blue;
>> }
>>
>> Maybe I'm misunderstanding your problem.
>>
>> Tim
>>

>>> I could obviously come up with several hacks around this
>>> (including one large -180 -90 180 90 polygon in a shapefile
>>> colored blue), but I'd rather spend my time understanding the
>>> kamap tiling mechanism.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any light you may be able to shed upon this, Percy
>>>
>>> PS sorry for the cross-posting, but in this case it seemed proper.
>>>
>>> --
>>> David Percy
>>> Geospatial Data Manager
>>> Geology Department