[OpenLayers-Users] Problem with markers performence

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Tue Jan 9 09:25:03 EST 2007

On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 12:00:56PM +0530, suneel kota wrote:
> Hi Christopher, Thanks for ur reply..
>
>                I am using IE for displaying the markers.. With out parsing
> the xml file how can i get the latitude and longitude to display the markers
> on the map..

If you are using IE, you are running into limitations in IE's
implementation of transparent image handling. There is no way to speed
up the addition of hundreds of alpha-transparent images to the map in
IE.

>               Is there any other way to display lot of markers on the map.
> I tried using text file and xml file with openlayers api.. Even its taking
> much time..

Yes, it's a limitation of the browser, not your particular method of
adding the markers. If you were to try it in Firefox, I think you would
see a much more managable timeframe for adding hundreds of markers --
though more than 500 is not well supported.

The solution to this may be for you to investigate an imagemap based
solution to the problem. Others on the list have expressed an interest
in this type of solution as well -- you might want to look through the
list archives or send out an email asking if anyone else is interested
in working on a solution to the problem.

At the moment, OpenLayers does not have a solution for the problem you
want to solve. If you find a way to solve it, the solution would
probably be something generally useful, and worth contributing back to
the core.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta