[OpenLayers-Users] OpenLayers, Google Maps, and WFS example

justin merz jrmerz at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 17:20:11 EDT 2007

I am sorry if this has already been done/covered, but I have been in the
processes of developing some online apps using OL and Google layers.  I have
version of OL (using ESPG 41001) up and running with the Google Layers
here...

http://team.resources.ca.gov/justin/lightweight_viewer.aspx

Issues I ran into and seem to have a fix for (or at least a working hack):

 -> WFS overlay not fitting/floating (depending on pan/zoom).  This was done
by using doing projection conversions in getLongitudeFromMapObjectLonLat,
getLatitudeFromMapObjectLonLat, and getMapObjectLonLatFromLonLat in
OpenLayers.Layer.Google.  As well as defining new extents and zoom levels.

 -> Google Layers moving center position upon a layer switch, after the
map/browser has been resized.  This I have not totally figured this out, but
the OL view plane and Google view plane seem to be off.  I fixed this with a
hack in setMapObjectCenter in Google.js.  Basically I set center, tell the
google API to see if the map size has changed, then set center again.

 -> Other:  I have also added a very quick and dirty "loading …" display for
WFS and a WFS feature selector that allows for quick display of other
information inside GML.  These use outside div's and have not yet been
migrated into OL.  Also on a browser note, I made two different classes for
vector rendering styles, one for IE and one for everything else.

-Justin Merz