[OpenLayers-Users] Tuning Open Layers

Joanne Cook j.cook at oxfordarch.co.uk
Fri Jul 20 11:52:50 EDT 2007

Hi All,

I have an openlayers site at http://mapdata.thehumanjourney.net, and I want to ensure that it's as optimised as possible because it's quite slow to load at the moment. I would like to ask for help from the openlayers community as to possible ways to improve the performance of the map.

In return you'll get lots of good karma, mention in our code and on our blogs. Not much, I know, but it's all I can offer...

My base data is served from an indexed postgresql/postgis database (there are a couple of thousand points in it).

I know that I can't use tilecache with either the Virtual Earth or Google Earth base layer, so that's out of the question unless someone can point me in the direction of a base layer that does something similar to what I currently have.

I have tried both mapserver and geoserver to serve the wms, and for the moment am using mapserver because it seems a little quicker.

Any pointers that people can give me on tuning the performance (even if it's just to tell me to go and see the mapserver/geoserver folks) would be extremely gratefully received!

Thanks

Jo

Joanne Cook
Information Systems Coordinator