[OpenLayers-Users] WFS Layers blocks excution?

Jackey Cheung cheung.jackey at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 21:10:00 EDT 2007

I don't know how OL sends out queries. If tile by tile with proper bbox,
there should be less than 100 (max.) pairs per tile; if it queries the whole
display area, there should be less than 1000 (avg.) pairs. However, besides
the coordinate, two more attribute data is queried, but I don't see any
impact by that.

I've tried traced into OL a little bit, it seems each time I refresh or pan
the map, there will be multiple queries being sent, on my 1440x900 IE, it's
around 29~30 queries each time, each query returns around 10~15 records
(I've set a limit of 10 in the query statement), and it takes more 1~2
seconds to process the XML of each of the result sets. If I get it right,
the XML processing is the cause of the lag, but if that's true, I don't see
any possible on my side to improve the performance, unless I do some coding
in OL.

F.Y.I. I'm running on a P4D 3GHz, 1GB RAM, and IE6 sp2, with PNG as map
image, and GIF as marker icons.

BTW, the same test on FireFox shown different results. Unlike IE, which lags
while moving (panning) the map, with newly revealed tiles shows up normally.
On FireFox, the map moves (panning) smoothly, while newly revealed tiles is
shown up significantly delayed.