[OpenLayers-Users] Legality of OpenLayers and Google --> Show company location

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Fri Jun 15 11:03:15 EDT 2007

On Fri, Jun 15, 2007 at 04:35:29PM +0200, Pfirter Lukas wrote:
> I went to the Google site and read trough both agreements, the "Google
> Terms of Service" and the "Google Maps Terms and Conditions". Among
> other things I found the following statement: "You may not use the
> imagery in any commercial or business environment or for any commercial
> or business purposes for yourself or any third parties". Does that mean
> that I can't display it on my company site or just, that I can't sell a
> product containing the Google Map implementation?

That question is better suited for a Google Maps discussion group,
possibly http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Maps-API .

> There was another statement (I don't see it now) which said that I can
> only use Google Maps "as is", does that mean packing it inside
> OpenLayers isn't legal for productive use?

The wording there is probably meant to imply the legal meaning of "AS
IS", which usually means "If it blows your computer up, it's not our
fault."

OpenLayers uses Google Maps in a manner which is entirely in line with
the API documentation. The Javascript is not modified. Essentially,
Google Maps is used in exactly the way described by the API... only with
a heck of a lot of website chrome around it. The chrome just happens to
be invisible.

> Well I hope some of you can give me a hint on how to realize this or on
> where I can get the confirmation that the use of GoogleMaps / OpenLayers
> on my company website is legal.

The use of OpenLayers is legal. The use of OpenLayers and Google Maps
together is limited only by the same restrictions that would apply if
you were to use Google Maps on your website, and addresisng that concern
is better suited for a Google Maps API group.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta