[OpenLayers-Users] dynamic markers

Tara Athan tara_athan at alt2is.com
Wed Oct 10 12:15:47 EDT 2007

I should have been more specific in my question.
I would like to create the textfile for the markers, titles and
descriptions dynamically from a database so that users can enter new
markers and they appear on the map with minimal intervention from me.
I was planning to do this by the following steps
1. the user sees a map displaying the current markers from the text
file, and an HTML form,
2. they click on the map to fill the lat lon fields in the form,
3.they type in the title, description and select characteristics from
dropdown menus that determine the icon
4. PHP commands are used to enter this into a database (MySQL or
PostGRES) on the server, along with an e-mail alert to the database admin
5. at regular intervals (i.e. daily), the text file is automatically
updated from the database

I now know how to do steps 1, 3 and 4 but I'm not so sure about 2 and
clueless about 5.
The example http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/google.html has controls
that suggest it should be possible for user to add a marker to the map,
but this example does not function for me (in Firefox 2.0.0.7, Windows
XP SP2)
I am hoping that someone has already implemented an example like this,
or accomplished the same thing by a different method.
I should mention that this would all be operating in a shared webhosting
environment without root access.

Thanks, Tara