[OpenLayers-Users] Prioritizing layer requests

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Mon Oct 22 18:03:01 EDT 2007

On Mon, Oct 22, 2007 at 01:47:11PM -0700, Ben Brehmer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was hoping to get a little insight into how layer requests are qeued
> up and sent out in OpenLayers.
>
> I have 2 layers, one of which takes a really long time (due to server
> side computation) which is an Image layer. My other layer is just a
> plain vanilla KaMap layer.
>
> I want to reduce the response time for the image layer by forcing it to
> send out its request first.  Is there any way to prioritize the order in
> which layer requests are sent out since . Maybe by setting some layer
> parameter or through some side effect such as the order in which layers
> are added to the map?

Should be based on the way the layers are added to the map -- the
moveTos are called in the order of the map.layers array.

Browsers limit requests sent at once based on hostname. If you put your
image on a different DNS hostname, it should load in parallel to your
tiles.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta