[OpenLayers-Users] How to overlay WMS onto Google Maps?

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Wed Oct 24 16:43:43 EDT 2007

On Wed, Oct 24, 2007 at 04:35:45PM -0400, Raj Singh wrote:
> Is there a comprehensive FAQ on this? Sometimes I hear use epsg:
> 900913, and sometimes epsg:54004. Either way, my postgis (version
> 8.1.5) doesn't have support for those. As probably the most common
> use of OL it seems worthy of a comprehensive write-up. I'd be willing
> to write it if I knew the answer.

Raj --

PostGIS doesn't have support for either of them, that is correct.
Information on the proj4 and GeoServer-friendly wkt is available at:

http://trac.openlayers.org/wiki/SphericalMercator

as well as how to use it with OpenLayers. I'd be glad to have someone
update this with more examples and more prose -- I think that's
definitely the right place to tweak it. (If you want to edit and don't
have a login, you can use openlayers:openlayers.)

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta