[OpenLayers-Users] Need for pan mode when digitizing a feature near map edge

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Fri Sep 14 16:50:22 EDT 2007

On Fri, Sep 14, 2007 at 01:44:03PM -0700, mcarsel wrote:

> We need a way to pan the map while in the midst of digitizing a feature near
> the map edge, say within 30 pixels.  The mouse pointer could change to the
> pan icon when the cursor is near the edge to give the user an opportunity to
> pan.  After the user pans the map, the user could continue with digitizing
> the current feature. See Google MyMaps for a good example.
>
> Is this doable in OpenLayers?

The code doesn't exist, but has been developed in the past, and may
still exist in the old vector sandbox:

http://svn.openlayers.org/sandbox/vector/

But it would require a big chunk of work to get it in.

I think that this is on target from camptocamp under 2.6 -- maybe
someone from their side of the pond can comment on the
possibilities/likelihook of that?

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta