[OpenLayers-Users] Need for pan mode when digitizing a feature near map edge

Jeff Yutzler jeff.yutzler at ionicenterprise.com
Mon Sep 17 10:06:13 EDT 2007

Personally, I feel the whole non-freehand digitizing control needs a
rewrite.  When you digitize a point now, when you click you get a
feature, full stop.  When you digitize a line now and double-click, you
get a feature, full stop.  There are three significant drawbacks to this:

    * Unless you are just doodling on your map, there is usually going
      to be some sort of attribution associated with the geometry and
      the way it is now, there is no clear way to link the geometry with
      the attribution.
    * There is no clear way to digitize multi-part geometries (inner
      ring, multiline, multipolygon) the way it is done now.
    * A geometry that you are digitizing should be selected and
      draggable so that you can tweak the geometries after you draw them.

It is not a major change to change things from a drawing paradigm to an
editing paradigm.  It is certainly plausible to do this for 2.6.  All of
the functionality is there (DrawFeature, SelectFeature, ModifyFeature,
Drag, etc.).  It just needs to be combined into a single control with
slightly different behavior.  That way we can also do some other
intelligent things like allowing drag panning during digitizing and
using the cool insert-middle-vertex capability from the new
ModifyFeature control.

-Jeff (who is still trying to become part of the solution, not just some
guy firing off e-mails)