[OpenLayers-Users] Need for pan mode when digitizing a feature near map edge

Tim Schaub tschaub at openplans.org
Mon Sep 17 15:45:52 EDT 2007

Jeff Yutzler wrote:
> Personally, I feel the whole non-freehand digitizing control needs a
> rewrite.  When you digitize a point now, when you click you get a
> feature, full stop.  When you digitize a line now and double-click, you
> get a feature, full stop.  There are three significant drawbacks to this:
>
>    * Unless you are just doodling on your map, there is usually going
>      to be some sort of attribution associated with the geometry and
>      the way it is now, there is no clear way to link the geometry with
>      the attribution.    * There is no clear way to digitize multi-part
> geometries (inner
>      ring, multiline, multipolygon) the way it is done now.    * A
> geometry that you are digitizing should be selected and
>      draggable so that you can tweak the geometries after you draw them.
> It is not a major change to change things from a drawing paradigm to an
> editing paradigm.  It is certainly plausible to do this for 2.6.  All of
> the functionality is there (DrawFeature, SelectFeature, ModifyFeature,
> Drag, etc.).  It just needs to be combined into a single control with
> slightly different behavior.  That way we can also do some other
> intelligent things like allowing drag panning during digitizing and
> using the cool insert-middle-vertex capability from the new
> ModifyFeature control.

Hey Jeff-

Keep in mind that OpenLayers is a library.  The examples in the examples
directory typically highlight one feature of the library at a time, and
they don't pull in any other library/framework that you might typically
use for building a web application.

So, while you might want drawing to immediately trigger attribute
editing, another application developer may want drawing to immediately
trigger something else.  Because of this, it is important that we expose
bits of functionality that application developers can assemble in any
way they want.  So, the draw controls draw a feature.  They are also
equipped with what you need to get notified when the feature digitizing
is done.  Then you might want to pop up a fancy spreadsheet Dojo widget
to let your users play with feature attributes.

So, the suggestions for adding additional functionality are appreciated.
  However, the suggestion that "the whole freehand digitizing control
needs a rewrite" is a bit off.  Again, we can keep adding additional
controls that application developers can piece together any way they
want.  There is no smart reason to lump it all together.

Tim