[OpenLayers-Users] Non Geographic use of OpenLayers

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Tue Sep 18 15:12:10 EDT 2007

On Tue, Sep 18, 2007 at 11:25:46AM -0700, Jeffrey Johnson wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I would like to use the OpenLayers engine for a Non Geographic set of
> images. Can anyone recommend the best way to create tiles for this
> kind of use? Would something like TileCache work? If so, if anyone can
> point me toward some examples of this kind of thing, I would
> appreciate it. If OpenLayers is not the best choice for this kind of
> thing, can anyone recommend something (open source preferrably) as an
> alternative.

Non-geographic meaning 'not realted to geography', or 'projected'?

TileCache works fine for relatively small images: less than 5000 px on a
side.

http://tilecache.org/demos/zelda.html

Bigger than that, and you run into problems with using TileCache + PIL
to chop the images up. You might use GDAL + MapServer to serve as a WMS,
with TileCache as a frontend if you care about speed.

So, it's possible TileCache can work as the server, and OL can
definitely work as the client.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta