[OpenLayers-Users] XML / GeoRSS / GML / KML and combined layers (Markers & SVG)

mike mike at bristolbeat.co.uk
Wed Sep 19 05:43:33 EDT 2007

Hi,

Is there any documentation of the merits / purpose and intended future
developments of the various XML layers such as GeoRSS, GML, KML etc?

They seem to be very similar and almost interchangable, and I'm finding this
a bit confusing.

For example, I'm using GeoRSS to draw markers, and KML to draw lines.
However, this excellent GeoRSS Serialise example seems to be an edit / draw
component for lines and polys:
http://dev.openlayers.org/sandbox/ahocevar/sldRenderer/examples/georss-serialize.html
Equally, KML boasts support for styles, although this is not implemented
yet, and if we are accepting the Google definition, then KML should support
both markers and lines / polys.

Is there a twiki page for this or a good resource I could refer to?  I'm
considering developing this further and I'd like to make sure I'm doing the
right thing before I start...  Also if anyone if actively developing in this
area I'd be very interested to discuss and see if I can help.

My other point is about combined layers - I'd like to create a layer in the
layerswitcher which shows markers and lines / polys (i.e. SVG I assume).  Is
it possible to make a combined layer or wrap two layers into one in some
way?

cheers, mike