[OpenLayers-Users] Layer Loading???

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Thu Sep 20 09:57:48 EDT 2007

Prasad Choudhary wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> The way, how Openlayers requesting tiles, It seems to request all base map
> tiles and then other overlays, cant they evenly? I might be wrong too,
> please make me correct in case.

Browsers are limited on the number of simultaneous connections they are
allowed to make to a given server. You can fake it out by creating
CNAMEs for you server like

mt1.mydomain.com  -> maps.mydomain.com
mt2.mydomain.com  -> maps.mydomain.com
mt3.mydomain.com  -> maps.mydomain.com
mt4.mydomain.com  -> maps.mydomain.com

Then in your layer creation where you put the url:

"http:/maps.mydomain.com"

replace it with:

["http:/mt1.mydomain.com","http:/mt2.mydomain.com",
  "http:/mt3.mydomain.com","http:/mt4.mydomain.com"]

Now you can make 4x as many requests to the server and you tiles will
load faster, assuming your server can handle the additional load and
requests.

-Steve