[OpenLayers-Users] Layer: Name and Title

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Fri Sep 21 09:16:00 EDT 2007

On Fri, Sep 21, 2007 at 02:08:30PM +0200, Bart van den Eijnden (OSGIS) wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> currently an OpenLayers Layer object only has a name property, and this is
> used for display.
>
> If you would introduce the concept of group layers, you could have the
> situation where you want to give the same name to multiple layers (since
> this is also displayed in the GUI).
>
> Would it not be better to have both a title and name property on the Layer
> object?

I'm confused.

1. I don't think more than one 'name for display purposes' should be
   required.
2. Any property sent in the options for a layer is set as a property
   on that layer, which can be taken advantage of by any controls, etc.
   (See attribution.html example, for example.)
3. I don't see what UI element would display anything other than
   'name' with the current code.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta