[OpenLayers-Users] Controls and sessionState in ASP.NET

Jeff Dege jdege at korterra.com
Fri Sep 21 13:43:53 EDT 2007

I'm serving pages containing maps with IIS and ASP.NET 2.0.  The pages,
once they load in the browser, have always worked fine.  Javascript in
the browser is javascript in the browser, how the server built the pages
doesn't much matter.

Until it does.

I was making changes in the web.config file, trying to resolve a session
timeout issue.  One thing I tried was to add a sessionState to
system.web:

	<system.web>
		<sessionState
			cookieless="true"
			timeout="5"

		</sessionState>
	</system.web>

And had an entirely unexpected result.

My PanZoomBar and LayerSwitcher controls disappeared.  Other controls,
placed off the map div, drew fine.  Panel controls placed on the map div
drew fine.  But these two controls, PanZoomBar and LayerSwitcher, didn't
draw at all.

I removed the sessionState element, and things worked fine, again.

I'm not calling this a bug, but I thought I'd throw it out there, just
in case it might help someone else.  It's not an interaction I would
have expected.