[OpenLayers-Users] foss4g...

John Cole john.cole at uai.com
Mon Sep 24 23:13:09 EDT 2007

Hey Christopher,

  I don’t know if you’re planning on showing anyone the HUD PLS site we did
to anyone, but it is live and running.  HYPERLINK
"http://hud.uai.com/hudpls/"http://hud.uai.com/hudpls/

  It went live on July 31 and in August the mapping server had 1.2 million
hits.  (767K for tilecache and 467 for mapserver)  Tilecache had 68 errors
in August while mapserver didn’t throw more than 2 (it wasn’t in the top 20
errors listed so I don’t actually know if it threw any at all).

  I suppose it may be old hat since the Where 2.0 conference, but you’re
welcome to show that site.  Our government customer has been very happy with
the site.

  This is the site where we replaced an ArcIMS 9.1 site, beating out ArcGis
Server 9.2 in performance, aesthetics and usability.  I had gotten
permission to try a MapServer/OpenLayers version while the AGS group did
theirs.  6 weeks before the due date (and 2 weeks after I started), we had a
meeting to show off each groups progress.  We spent 10 minutes perusing the
AGS stuff, and the next hour and a half *playing* with OpenLayers :-)  I
knew we were going OL at that point and a demo to the customer the next day
sealed it.

  We are in the process of moving this site to it’s final home but the above
URL should work (it is after all a live site).  The new stack, with
dedicated linux tile server and w2k3 map server is at HYPERLINK
"http://pweb1.hud.uai.com/pls"http://pweb1.hud.uai.com/pls and uses MS 5 for
feeding the tile server (I’ve found a few bugs in MS 5 so parts are in MS
4).  This site hopefully will be the live site sometime tomorrow, but it
could go up and down till then.

  Looking forward to some blog posts from the conference.

John

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
11:27 AM

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.