[OpenLayers-Users] Proportional Symbol Mapping

Bjorn Sandvik B.Sandvik at sms.ed.ac.uk
Sat Apr 5 12:01:32 EDT 2008

Hi Matt,

I'm currently implementing your suggestions. I'm able to size the
symbols as a function of the initial zoom level, but I can't figure out
how to attach an event handler to the endzoom event. How can I add an
event handler which makes a function call?

http://localhost/thematicmapping/experiments/openlayers/propsymbols.html
(the hover effect still needs some improvements).

Bjorn
http://blog.thematicmapping.org

mpriour wrote:
> Bjorn
> The correct way to handle this is to attach an event handler to the endzoom
> event.
> This event should manage the size of the symbols so that they are
> propotionally sized.
> Choose the zoom level at which the symbol renders at the right proportion,
> this will be your refernece zoom level. Then size the symbol propotionally
> the ratio of resolution @ current zoom level / resolution @ reference zoom
> level. Depending on the event firing order, you may also need to call
> redraw() on your vector layer.
> Matt
>
> Bjorn Sandvik wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm currently testing the capabilities of doing thematic mapping with
>> OpenLayers.
>>
>> This is a proportional symbol map based on GeoJSON encoded data:
>> http://thematicmapping.org/experiments/openlayers_propsymb.htm
>>
>> My question: Is there a way to keep the relative size of the symbols
>> when the users zoom in/out?
>> (symbols should keep their size relative to the size of the countries).
>>
>> Bjorn
>>
>> http://blog.thematicmapping.org
>>

>> --

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.