[OpenLayers-Users] tile server for custom tiles always needed?

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Thu Aug 7 08:20:27 EDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 07, 2008 at 02:13:51PM +0200, Kenny France wrote:
> I think we are trying to do the same thing, ie:
>
> Display our own tiles using openlayers.

You are trying to do something different than the original poster, who
mentioned Mapnik (and OSM), so I assume is following the detailed
instructions set up in the OSM SVN for generating tiles. Specifically, the
information in
http://svn.openstreetmap.org/applications/rendering/mapnik/ which leads
to using
http://svn.openstreetmap.org/applications/rendering/mapnik/generate_tiles.py
is pretty detailed, and will set you up a nice little directory of
"Google style" tiles, which you can use with an OSM layer (or with a
custom TMS layer, as the spherical-mercator example does).

> If you could please point us to a tutorial that shows step by step what we
> are suppose to do,

Your description of what you're trying to do is nebulous at best, but
there are many tutorials for 'generating tiles of your own maps' on the
web for things like Google Maps. I would recommend researching this and
understanding it: it will help you in your use and creation of your
own tiles in OpenLayers. Create tiles for Google Maps, and Use them with
OpenLayers, as described in:

  http://trac.openlayers.org/wiki/UsingCustomTiles

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta