[OpenLayers-Users] How to select a particular layer

fredth fredth at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 18 13:08:42 EDT 2008

You are right and I think it's how openlayers works. You can only do a
getInfo on visible layers. The problem is when 2 or more are visible, which
one the user want to query ?

I got another answer by mail:
A simple way is to build a dropdown list with the layer names to set the
active layer.

http://gis.ibbeck.de/ginfo/apps/OLExamples/OL26/examples/labels.html

function populateLayer(aktLyr)
{
    //populate select for layers
    var theHTML = '<select id="selAktLyr" onchange="setAktLyr();">';
    for(var i=4;i<map.layers.length;i++) //exclude Google layers 0-3
    {
        theHTML += '<option value=' + i + '>' + map.layers[i].name;
    }
    document.getElementById("spanselAktLyr").innerHTML = theHTML +
'</select>';
    if(!aktLyr)
        map.aktLayer = 4;
    else
    {
        map.aktLayer = aktLyr;
    }
    document.getElementById("selAktLyr").value=map.aktLayer;
}

function setAktLyr()
{
    map.aktLayer = document.getElementById("selAktLyr").value;
}
 BY:Arnd Wippermann

This is what I want to do. I will try this, but I would like to know if
openlayers has this functionnality built-in.

I will come back to confirm the Arnd's solution is working.