[OpenLayers-Users] GML, Point and Change the Size of the Circle...

Andreas Hocevar ahocevar at opengeo.org
Fri Aug 29 03:59:09 EDT 2008

Kit Plummer wrote:
> Ok, first let me plead practical ignorance here.  I've only been
> working with OpenLayers for about a week.  And, I'm integrating it
> into ExtJS.  I have a known GML file that contains Points.  I'd like
> to be able to add an attribute to each element that would specify the
> size of the circle that gets drawn by OL.  Am I out of luck here?  If
> not, would somebody be so nice as to point me in the right direction?

Have a look at http://www.openlayers.org/dev/examples/styles-rotation.html.

You will want to use a style map, and define the pointRadius property of
the symbolizer. Say you have a field called "size" in your GML features.
Then your stylemap constructor call could look like that:

new OpenLayers.StyleMap({
    "default": OpenLayers.Util.applyDefaults({
        pointRadius: "${size}"
    }, OpenLayers.Feature.Vector.style["default"]
});

Regards,
Andreas.