[OpenLayers-Users] Novel Application for OL and TMS

Kurt D. Bollacker kurt at longnow.org
Tue Dec 16 13:16:30 EST 2008

Way back in May, I asked for help using OL to read locally available
image tiles to build a browser for the digital version of the Rosetta
Disk (www.rosettaproject.org).  Eric Lemoine (and one other whose name
I've lost) directed me toward TMS.  Anyway, although my time was
limited, we at the Long Now Foundation finally managed to build a
browsable form of the disk, which can be seen at:

http://dvd.rosettaproject.org/

Check out the decorative front (8 resolutions at 8bpp):

http://dvd.rosettaproject.org/disk_front/index.html

and the data-filled back (11 resolutions at 1bpp):

http://dvd.rosettaproject.org/disk_back/index.html

Feedback is welcome.  I wanted to thank those who helped me. AFAIK,
OpenLayers is the only reasonable open source toolset to browse *VERY
LARGE* images, and I'm very happy to get it working.

							Kurt Bollacker :-)
							Digital Research Director
							The Long Now Foundation