[OpenLayers-Users] Multi-User Applications

Bill Thoen bthoen at gisnet.com
Tue Dec 30 13:16:58 EST 2008

I'm working on an OpenLayers application that requires the user to
create a polygon that is used in a separate server-side calculation so I
have to turn it into a shape file first. For any one user, I can just
create a new PostGIS table and simply call it "RegionOfInterest" and
then run the CGI script to perform the calculation and add the new
features to the user's map.

But this method falls apart as soon as there is another user online
using the same application. The second user's polygon overwrites the
first user's, so I need to keep each user's data separate. So my
question is what's the best way to keep each user's activity separate
for operations that aren't totally contained within their browser sessions?

Do you use session id's for this and create separate databases based on
session id or is there a better way?