[OpenLayers-Users] Edit a "freehand polygon"

Tim Schaub tschaub at openplans.org
Tue Feb 12 11:05:35 EST 2008

Hey-

Swärd Mårten wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I need some functionality that makes it possible to edit the points in a
> freehand drawn polygon. I know that it’s tecnicaly possible to do this
> but in real life the edit function, as I know it, is very time
> counsuming to use due to the many points that has to be modified. The
> two questions that I have are as follows:
>
> A) Is it possible to change the edit function so that when you edit one
> point the naigbor points follows.. And so to say smoothen the curve of
> the edited point relative to the rest of the points..
>
> B) If the answer is a big NO on A. =) Is it possible to reduce the
> number of points that is drawn when using the freehand mode?

This would be an easy modification.  The draw feature control could take
a tolerance property in the handlerOptions and addPoint would only get
called in freehand mode when the tolerance was met.

> B II) Or is it possible to reduce the number of points on a polygon
> after you have drawn it?

This would require a simplify (Douglas Peucker style) method for
geometries.  If there is interest in building a library of more advanced
geometry operations client-side, it might do well as a compliment to
OpenLayers (not in OL itself).  I'm interested in this.

Tim