[OpenLayers-Users] Free Basic Layers

Till Adams adams at terrestris.de
Thu Feb 14 02:54:03 EST 2008

Dear Koyner,

maybe it's worth having a look at the demis WMS:
http://www2.demis.nl/wms/wms.asp?wms=WorldMap&VERSION=1.1.1&REQUEST=GetMap&SERVICE=WMS&LAYERS=Bathymetry,Countries,Topography,Hillshading,Builtup%20areas,Coastlines,Waterbodies,Inundated,Rivers,Streams,Railroads,Highways,Roads,Trails,Borders,Cities,Settlements,Spot%20elevations,Airports,Ocean%20features&STYLES=,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,&SRS=EPSG:4326&BBOX=-181.3130081300813,-80,155.3130081300813,89&WIDTH=245&HEIGHT=123&FORMAT=image/png&BGCOLOR=0xffffff&TRANSPARENT=TRUE&EXCEPTIONS=application/vnd.ogc.se_inimage

or check the capabilities here:
http://www2.demis.nl/wms/wms.asp?wms=WorldMap&VERSION=1.1.1&REQUEST=Getcapabilities&SERVICE=WMS

Many layers with a lot of information, going down to a scale showing
villages with at least +/- 1000 inhabitants (in germany)

Regards, Till

>To clarify: we need global mapping information. If the user is zoomed out
>completely, they will be able to see all continents at once.
>
>But users will also be able to zoom in and view towns and villages. At this
>scale, they will be able to view distinct user locations within a town,
>depending on zip code or post code.
>

>koyner wrote:
>

>>Can someone please tell me where I can find a list of basic free layers
>>that can be used in a commercial application?
>>
>>Specifically, we need layers detailing countries with cities, towns,
>>villages etc. and plain blue oceans and water bodies. That's all. No
>>roads, mountains, contours, ocean-depths or anything like that. The
>>application needs to be graphically minimal.
>>
>>If there's nothing free out there that anyone can recommend, we'd be
>>interested in anything similar that's cost-effective.

        digitale Karten für Jeden!
  terrestris bietet OpenLayers KnowHow!
 http://maps.terrestris.de/webgisfueralle
terrestris GmbH & Co. KG