[OpenLayers-Users] pixel units to lat/lon units & nexrad

Wendell Turner wendell at enflight.com
Mon Jun 2 14:26:47 EDT 2008

I have tiled maps generated by gdal2tile.py which load into
OpenLayers very nicely using units:'pixel'.  I would like to
change the layout to lat/lon and am having trouble, and
request assistance (I've flailed around with various options
settings, but really don't know what I'm doing).

Q1) The reason for doing this is to (hopefully) be able to
overlay nexrad weather by referencing a layer from
http://columbo.nrlssc.navy.mil/ogcwms/servlet/WMSServlet/AccuWeather_Maps.wms
Is this timely data?  How often is this data refreshed?  Is
there a better source for nexrad data?

Q2) I assume that I need to change from pixel-units to
lat/lon-units in order to layer the AccuWeather_Maps on the
display, correct?

Q3) Is gdal2tile.py still used in OL 2.6 (it seemed to be
based on 2.4), or is there a better way to have OpenLayers
generate the tiles?  Does it pre-generate them, or do it
on-the-fly?

Q4) Do I need to fully understand all of the extents vs.
resoultion vs. maxResolution etc, or is there an easy way to
capture the gdalinfo data from a GeoTiff file and import
that into the options array needed by OpenLayers?

I think OpenLayers is a terrific tool, I'm just not a
cartographer (yet).

Thanks,

Wendell