[OpenLayers-Users] pixel units to lat/lon units & nexrad

Scott Baker scott at pawprint.net
Wed Jun 4 12:55:40 EDT 2008

I was trying to do something similar to this when I first started - I
asked here in the list about it too - but received no response. So I
spent 3 months figuring it out myself... Correct me if I'm wrong, but I
couldn't find any way to use gdal2tiles for anything other then a single
map - always in pixel coordinates and not suitable for any sort of
overlays.

It's a great method for creating a standalone OL viewer of a raster map
but that's about it.

As soon as you want to get into mixing layers, overlaying stuff - etc...
you will need a mapserver to do it.

I ended up with mapserver running and then implementing tilecache
(mapserver is incredibly slow directly) then an OL display. The
combination of the three is the only way I found to get nice looking
maps and have floexibility enough to include raster, vector, and public
data in OL.

You might get by if all your data is coming from other WMS servers by
just using tilecache.

Again - I'm pretty new at this myself - but this, through months of
trial and error, is the only solution I could find.