[OpenLayers-Users] Browser hang on large KML markers layer.

Obe, Regina robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Wed Jun 4 07:58:30 EDT 2008

 Barney,

I think the loading that Google is doing of the KML is being done on the
server side and its merely dishing out tiled images and javascript to
the browser.

This is very different from loading KML in OpenLayers where its done on
the client side.  On the server side - you have complete control of the
technologies you use and lets face it client-side javascript is not the
fastest thing.

For this type of thing you would be best to mix a bit of WMS with WFS.
For heavy image stuff do WMS calls which OpenLayers does very well and
then use WFS calls for clicks, mouseovers etc.

Hope that helps,
Regina

>Thanks, but I don't really understand your statement. Google Earth can
load huge KML layers, >although I think it might be using some kind of
scaling. See...

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=13.923404,-7.03125&spn=170.980165,3
60&t=h&z=1&lci=lmc:panoramio,lmc:wikipedia_en

> If OL cannot load large KML layers is there anything already in the
code I can use ? Or > maybe future development will include a scaling
function for large layers ?