[OpenLayers-Users] Aspect Ratio/Projection Problem

Michael Langford michael.langford at rowdylabs.com
Thu Jun 5 18:43:23 EDT 2008

After switching to openlayers.org from google maps, we're almost ready
to launch my customer's new site.

One problem though: His overlay image is "squished" on OpenLayers,
where it looks great using the image overlay of Google Maps API. It
involves way too many hours of hand lettered text on it to contemplate
redoing in the new aspect ratio, so I need to find a technical
solution to make OpenLayers.org display it properly.

I've been fiddling with projections, and have not seen a way out of
this forest, as nothing appears to change the display of the image.

When I look, I keep finding pointers on the web to the extremely brief
comment about projections on the FAQ, which doesn't help me at all.

It seems like I'd like to display in EPSG:900313 as that is what
Google uses (that may not be the exact name, I deleted it after it
seemed clear it wasn't working).

I'm not exactly sure the role the proj4js plays in this, but it seems
like it probably does.

I've attached the picture of what the overlay looks like when applied
to google's map, and what the overlay looks like when applied to open
layers. In addition, it is available at
http://rowdylabs.com/ng/RightAndWrong.GIF in case the mailing list
doesn't like attachments.

Hopefully someone can provide something like the following:

   You properly include proj4js at the top of your html file like so,
and you create your map with arguments like so.

          --Michael Langford
--
Michael Langford
Phone: 404-386-0495