[OpenLayers-Users] Draw features one by one in IE?

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Thu Jun 26 08:04:40 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 12:53:08AM -0700, realjax wrote:
> > With OpenLayers' hover handler GetFeatureInfo requests can be sent as
> > the mouse goes over the map.
> >

> I know that it is possible, but firing GetFeatureInfo requests for every
> mouse movement is hardly what I'd call feasible ;-)

It's not every mouse movement -- just when the mouse stops for more than
a tenth of a second. I do it for an application at work and find it
works brilliantly -- in fact, I actually like the behavior better when
there's lots of data than using a hover handler on a selectFeature
control. A selectFeature control will *always* 'do the needful' -- even
if you're just passing by. A hover handler requires *intention*, and I
think that works very well.

The round trip request time for talking to a server for the equivilant
of a getfeatureinfo request against a table of 7 million rows is
something like 130ms (hooray for PostGIS) and then we can display
information in a little popup.

I really find it works well. "Don't knock it til you try it."

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta