[OpenLayers-Users] Draw features one by one in IE?

jax at schildmos.nl jax at schildmos.nl
Thu Jun 26 10:42:26 EDT 2008

> It's not every mouse movement -- just when the mouse stops for more than
> a tenth of a second. I do it for an application at work and find it
> works brilliantly -- in fact, I actually like the behavior better when
> there's lots of data than using a hover handler on a selectFeature
> control. A selectFeature control will *always* 'do the needful' -- even
> if you're just passing by. A hover handler requires *intention*, and I
> think that works very well.
>
> The round trip request time for talking to a server for the equivilant
> of a getfeatureinfo request against a table of 7 million rows is
> something like 130ms (hooray for PostGIS) and then we can display
> information in a little popup.
>
> I really find it works well. "Don't knock it til you try it."

That sounds good! I did indeed knock it a little too early it seems.. I learned this morning that 'every mouse movement' as I put it, is far from correct.

Quick question:
I have a database (Mysql) I can query about the position of objects. It is not needed to have realtime data, that is: I can cache for 5 minutes or so on the server side.
What would be the way to go if I want to use the objects as a WMS layer ?

Thanks and regards

Jax