[OpenLayers-Users] link with gps

Kenneth Skovhede, GEOGRAF A/S ks at geograf.dk
Thu Jun 26 09:45:33 EDT 2008

Its fairly easy.

These are the steps:

1. Set up OL map (I assume you have this)
2. Read data from GPS
3. call map.setCenter with the GPS data

Step 2 varies, depending on the GPS brand.
Usually you can tweak the device to put out NMEA compliant data on a COM
port.
NMEA is human readable, and specs can be found online.

Step 3 may cause trouble, because you have to interact with a javascript
inside a page.
On way is to simply host the page in an application, ie. a .Net form,
then the access is there.

Another way is to create a webservice / micro webserver that returns the
current position.
A javascript inside the page can then poll the position (via AJAX), and
update the center.

You may run into trouble if your map is projected into something thats
not Lat/Lon compatible.
In that case, take a look at the Proj.4 library, avalible for both
javascript and regular programming.

Regards, Kenneth Skovhede, GEOGRAF A/S