[OpenLayers-Users] link with gps

Didrik Pinte lists at dipole-consulting.com
Thu Jun 26 09:55:33 EDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-06-26 at 15:45 +0200, Kenneth Skovhede, GEOGRAF A/S wrote:
> Its fairly easy.
>
> These are the steps:
>
> 1. Set up OL map (I assume you have this)
> 2. Read data from GPS
> 3. call map.setCenter with the GPS data
>
> Step 2 varies, depending on the GPS brand.
> Usually you can tweak the device to put out NMEA compliant data on a
> COM port.
> NMEA is human readable, and specs can be found online.
>
> Step 3 may cause trouble, because you have to interact with a
> javascript inside a page.
> On way is to simply host the page in an application, ie. a .Net form,
> then the access is there.
>
> Another way is to create a webservice / micro webserver that returns
> the current position.
> A javascript inside the page can then poll the position (via AJAX),
> and update the center.
>
> You may run into trouble if your map is projected into something thats
> not Lat/Lon compatible.
> In that case, take a look at the Proj.4 library, avalible for both
> javascript and regular programming.
> Regards, Kenneth Skovhede, GEOGRAF A/S

Hi Kenneth,

Thank you for your answer.

I have just found some things for the step 2 :
- Garmin seem to provide a closed source plugin with an open source
javascript library that allows to communicate easily with the gps
- another closed source application called gpsgate that can interface
with a lot of gps and expose kind of webserver to it's javascript api.

Nothing fully opensource for the moment ;-) There is some potential for
a new projet.

Best regards,

Didrik