[OpenLayers-Users] GeoRSS and Custom Icons

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Sun Jun 29 10:31:01 EDT 2008

On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 03:54:48PM +0200, Eric Lemoine wrote:
> Current HTTP Protocol does CRUD through HTTP POST, GET, PUT, DELETE.
> It should be generic enough for implementing Protocol.FeatureServer
> and Protocol.OSM based upon it.

Er, I don't think this is likely to be true.

FeatureServer/MapFish use a protocol where you post an entire feature to
the server, and it saves that feature.

OSM uses a topological model, so editing is different: you don't edit
linestrings, you edit individual nodes along them. So, although OSM is
RESTful, the objects are lower level: a FeatureServer-friendly HTTP
protocol and an OSM-friendly one would be significantly different.

Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, as per usual :) But it seems
unlikely that OSM + FeatureServer protocols could share much code in
terms of writing; only reading would be sanely sharable, I think.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta